Friday, June 8, 2007

Welcome

Welcome to my new blog. I joined Gallup Consulting a few months ago after being an entrepreneur for most of my life. The transition has been eye-opening and positive, while some challenges for this type of relationship are inevitable. I had some hesitance in going to work at a larger firm after so much independence, but felt the overall opportunity for growth outweighed the cons.

Many entrepreneurs fear working at larger companies for a variety of reasons. First, we are inherently independent and relish the effects that career independence has on our egos. We also tend to be Activators and dread the potential bureaucracy within larger companies that may hold us back in our race to results. Entrepreneurs enjoy feeling like big fish. Companies with thousands of employees can make individuals feel more like insignificant drops in the pond. At some point, entrepreneurs reach the inevitable decision of whether to give it another go alone, or to join a larger firm. This may come after a company goes bust, or after a successful exit...but at some point the question is asked.

My intention in writing this blog is to validate or dispel some of those fears. My transition to Gallup was a culmination of many factors. Only time will tell whether or not I am fit for this setting. Hopefully I can help some others in similar situations make that decision better informed. A secondary goal for this blog is to help executives understand entrepreneurs and harness that powerful constituency in their organization to help them drive true organic growth.

You can expect very open and candid anecdotes about life at Gallup, the consulting industry, intrapreneurship, and my transition to corporate life. Whatever I write in this blog is done independently of Gallup and may not represent the official views of Gallup.

No comments: